Collaborators: Behn Samareh, Tom Kopp, Jose Mathias, Greg Perham, Ando Pndlian, Nick Vida, and Derrick Williams.
Posted on April 10, 2010
In 2010, Crimson Society was commissioned to create an installation for the Coachella Music and Arts Festival.
Ascension, also lovingly known as “Coco”, is a 150 ft wide and 45 ft tall giant white origami crane crafted from soaring planes of white fabric and aluminum truss and tension wire skeleton.
Her wing span is roughly the size of a Boeing 747. The aluminum structure is modular, making the crane a temporary installation, but completely mobile and can be assembled on almost any flat site. The 100+ components and over 7000 sf of 80% mesh texilene sunshade material, that make up the crane, can be dismantled and shipped in one 40 ft shipping container to a new site anywhere around the globe.
Contact us if you are interested in bringing Coco to your event.
- InTents Staff. “Temporary Fabric Structure for Peace” June 2010. InTents Magazine.
- PSW Staff. “Global Truss Provides Support For Coachella Exhibit” 10 May 2010. Pro Sound Web.
- Ziemba, Christine N. “The Crane Also Rises: CalArts Connection to Coachella’s Ascension” 28 April 2010. 24700 CalArts Blog.
- Burkart, Karl. “Ars Natura: Ascension” 27 April 2010. SHFT: The Culture of Today’s Environment.
- Canete, Kimi. “Crimson Collective’s Giant Crane Sculpture at Coachella Carries Message of Peace” 21 April 2010. San Diego Entertainer Magazine.
- Cheney, Alexandra. “Coachella 2010: The Festival’s Solar-Powered, Origami-Inspired Art Installation” 17 April 2010. Wall Street Journal Arts & Entertainment.
- Meinhold, Bridgette. “Coachella’s Giant Origami Solar-Powered Crane Installation” 16 April 2010. Inhabitat.
- Wired Magazine Staff. “Giant, Origami-Style Crane Ascends Over Coachella” 16 April 2010. Wired Magazine.
- Lubell, Sam. “The Coachella Crane” 16 April 2010. The Architects Newspaper.
- Feher, Erin. “Crimson Collective at Coachella” 16 April 2010. California Home + Design.
- Walker, Alissa. “It’s A Bird! It’s A Crane! It’s the Coachella Mascot” 16 April 2010. FastCompany.
- Behrens, Zach. “Huge Crane Becomes Coachella’s Entryway Art” 16 April 2010. Laist: Arts & Entertainment.
- June, Laura. “Massive, solar powered bird is overseeing Coachella, pretty stoked about its chance to see Phoenix” 16 April 2010. Engadget.
- Jordana, Sebastian. “The Crimson Collective Launches “Ascension” at the 2010 Coachella Music & Arts Festival” 15 Apr 2010. ArchDaily.
- Glick Kudler, Adrian. “Drink Plenty of Water and Shade Yourself Under the Peace Crane at Coachella” 15 April 2010. Curbed Los Angeles.
- Alice. “Coachella’s Kick-Ass Crane” 16 April 2010. My Modern Met.